Skip to main content

1.11 - The Mini Elite

Kerry shakes another nightmare off her shoulders. Too irritated to just turn around and continue sleeping, she drags herself into the bathroom.
Quietly, so as to not wake up her daughters, she splashes some cold water on her face. It's a good way to wash away dreams and nightmares still lingering in a sleepy brain.
"Mommy."
Her heart has a hiccup as she jumps up a little. She did not hear anyone coming.
"Ruby! You startled me. What is it?"
"I can't sleep."
She picks her big girl up to comfort her and regrets it immediately. She's gotten awfully heavy. They might have to stop the picking up game soon or her back will really feel it.
"Too excited before your big day, hmm? I'll make a hot milk with honey for both of us -" and brandy for mommy, she adds in thought, "and then let's try to get some more sleep, okay?"

A few hours later Kerry is still tired but Ruby is ready to leave.
"Mooom. We will be late!"
"What? We still have an hour left! They won't let us in so early, go play with Richie!
I don't think so, Richie purrs half asleep. He's napping on the highest spot in the house, out of reach for tiny grabbing hands.
If I don't get my sixteen hours of beauty sleep each day my fur will get dull. 
But his beauty sleep will have to wait. Now both of the tiny humans are awake and he'd have to be deaf to sleep through Ruby's excitement and Jade's complaints.
Today is Ruby's first day of school and Jade is not happy that her sister gets to do all the fun things first, not to mention being the center of attention for the day!
She's sitting on the floor, pouting. "It's not FAIR! When can I go to school?"
Kerry had to answer this question about twice a day recently but the answer doesn't change: "In two years." Naturally that means Jade has to ask every couple of hours if two years have passed already.

***
Bridgeport, Public School 67.

The first graders sit in a circle and are asked to introduce themselves with their name, what they like, and what they want to be when they grow up.
The first one is a slow boy with blonde hair and round glasses.
"I'm Christopher."
"Anything else you can tell us about yourself?", the teacher asks with a smile.
"My name is Christopher."
"... right." She looks expectedly at the next kid, a boy with brown curls and denim dungarees.
"My name is Jonas, I like pizza and when I grow up I will be a firefighter."
This is the cue for Ruby to inform everyone in the classroom about her family's awesomeness: "My GRANDPA is a FIREFIGHTER!!", she yells with the energy only a six year old can have.
Chaos ensues in the classroom as every kid has to let everyone else know about their parents' and grandparents' professions. Everyone is shouting.
"My grandpa builds houses!"
"My grandpa is dead."
"My mom is a real doctor!"
"My parents are teachers for big kids!"
"Shhh! Quiet! Quiet, everyone! We only talk when it's our turn to talk, okay?", the teacher yells and shoots a look over to Ruby. "You there in the blue dress, it was your turn. Sorry for the interruption."
And then it's finally Ruby's turn. The teacher looks at her, trying her best to keep smiling, even though she's secretly convinced that each day she has to spend with first graders shortens her life expectancy by a few hours.
"Whats your name?"
"Ruby."
"And what kind of things do you like?"
"Cats."
"And do you know what you want to be when you're older?"
"A mermaid."
And so the introduction round continues until it's time for their first ever recess. The girl next to Ruby bumps her and whispers "Your hair looks funny!"

***

While Jade is still mad that she can't go to school for another two years - half a lifetime from Jade's perspective! - she was at least able to finally join Ruby in ballet class.
A slow tune plays in the background and a woman's voice is giving instructions to the tiny dancers. "Now lift your left arm... no, the other side! Left is where the barre is. Look at Ruby, everyone, she's doing it right! You're doing great, Ruby!"
Ruby is the oldest dancer in her group now and also the best by a long shot.
That does not mean that Jade doesn't have the talent. In fact, Jade picks up very quickly and probably has a better technique than Ruby did when she was her age. But two years make a big difference at that age and it's impossible for Jade to always keep up with her sister.

"Hello Kerry", the teacher greets Kerry when she enters the room to pick her girls up, "It's good to see you because I wanted to talk to you about something."
"Was Jade being moody? I'm sorry, it's hard for her at the moment because Ruby is -"
"No, nothing like that! Quite the opposite, actually. You know, you have two very talented girls there. And I'm not only talking about their dancing. They both have a great natural stage presence and they're following instructions. Well, Jade tries at least."
Kerry nods. She's not sure where this conversation is going. Of course Ruby stands out positively, she's the oldest after all. And Jade always tries her hardest to imitate her.
"Have you ever considered letting them join our Mini Elite Team? It's our performance team for 4 to 7-year olds to get started in competitive dance..."

***

Back home Kerry scans the dance school's homepage for details on the offer. Two hours a week, including ballet and jazz. Tap or hip hop are optional, not required. Plus rehearsals for recitals, local shows, and one competition per season. Kerry has no interest in raising professional ballerinas who have to train all day every day with no time for friends or other hobbies, but that doesn't sound too bad.
One thing is clear though, she will either sign both of them up or neither. She's not having the old "Why can't I do what big sis can do?" discussion again.
"Hey girls", she calls over her shoulder, "do you have fun dancing?"
"Yeah"
"Yeah!"
"And would you like to go dancing more often?"
"YEAH"
"YEAH!"
Well, that was simple. She clicks on the form to sign them up.
Classes. Leotards. Shoes. Performance costumes. Competition entry fees. More shoes. Team suits.
"It costs how much?!"
Kerry's bank account lets out a silent scream.

***

Just as Ruby starts school, Kerry enters a training program with evening classes to help her advance her career. The reference letter from Jade's father helped her get into her new job but now she has some catching up to do in order to keep up with the people who received better education and have more impressive resumes.

The workload is immense: kids, household, work, and school all want to be managed and Kerry sometimes forgets to eat and sleep enough. She works a lot from home which isn't exactly easy with her "office" being in the same room as her two active children - and simply sending them outside to play isn't a great option either in the bustling city of Bridgeport - so she has to make the most out of every minute the kids are out at school or pre-school, at a friend's house, or other activities such as dance class or swimming lessons.

In times like these coffee is her best friend. Coffee and nerves of steel.

Comments

  1. Ok, my thoughts in order:

    Richie is such a cat. I love the way you write him.

    Ruby at school is so cute!

    Aw, Jade's jealousy is really understandable. She just wants to be able to do what her sister does, especially since Ruby always seems to be better at everything.

    Competitive dance for toddlers always weirds me out. Like... they're tiny. Why do they need to get started in competitive dance before they're even at school? Also, they're really expensive. Anyone with small children has better things to pay for than programs like that.

    I did laugh at the sentence about Kerry's bank account, though.

    I'm glad Kerry seems to be handling everything okay. It's stressful, but she's powering through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, I personally don't have a problem with the competition itself but with the very age-inappropriate costumes and heavy make up that is always part of it for some reason. Not sure why this is still a thing. And yes, it costs a heck lot!

      I think that's a pretty classic sibling dynamic between them, Jade is just frustrated to be the baby sister. She'll have to get used to it though!

      Delete
  2. Poor Ritchie, with the interruption to his morning nap, how is he going to be able to build up enough energy for a proper afternoon snooze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, poor guy! Maybe some extra treats will give him the energy...

      Delete
  3. I like the detail of the empty beer bottles in the last picture--makes me worry a little but about Kerry, tbh.

    The scene at the school was adorable! Almost as cute as the ballet scene. Ruby is so cute, it's sad she got that mean comment about her hair.

    Oh man, I'm totally Jade and my sister is Ruby. XD She was always better at everything!! I too am a little weirded out by toddler dance competitions, but for me it's mostly the money! I looked into ballet classes for my daughter and it was hecka expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm happy you noticed! ♪

      It's the last chapter before Ruby ages up so I had to include some cute toddler poses! Imma miss her toddler looks and hair.

      Younger sibling issues, huh? But something tells me Jade will get her moment to shine =D

      Delete
  4. The toddler scenes are just so adorable! Especially with them dancing ballet. Jade has already learned a lot about it from her sister. I wonder how long they'll keep going with it.

    I hope Kerry won't burn out from all the work she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll stick with it for a while! I'm hoping to make cats and dance, two things I love, a bit of a theme throughout the legacy, including future generations.

      Delete
  5. I love the way you write the relationship between the girls. It is too cute, but also very realistic, lol. Also, great job on designing the settings, like the school room and the dance room!! They look great.

    I know it's been a hot minute since you updated, so I'm not sure if you ever plan to continue this legacy or not, but thank you for the great read! I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to end things on a happier chapter, after everything Kerry's been through. And if there's ever more, I'll definitely be here reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I always spend way too much time building settings that I never use again.
      And yeah, it's been a minute, but I sometimes need a (longer) break. For now I'm back though, just a slow writer :P

      Delete

Post a Comment