Skip to main content

1.12 - One Day We'll Have A Pool

Ruby extends her leg towards the ceiling. Point your feet, hold it - seven, eight, and turn!
Marcus had come along to support and watch his granddaughter compete with a jazz solo in the minis age division.
"Isn't she wearing too much make-up for a little girl?"
"I don't know," Kerry shrugs, "I didn't make her wear it, that's on her teacher." She squints a little. Ruby has some lipstick on her single front tooth. It's her first permanent tooth, too. Kerry resists the urge to say something about kids growing up too fast and decides to feel proud instead. She raised this kid.
Grandpa Marcus is enthusiastic as ever. It's his first time watching competitive dance. "Wow, all these kids are so small and so talented! When I was that age my greatest talent was making fart noises with my armpit. It might still be, actually!"
"Oh, so that's where she got that from."
"Wooo! You go, girl!" Marcus screams throughout the entire performance.
Ruby ends with a sassy pose and earns her applause. She has a very good shot at placing first, but neither her, nor her mom or her grandpa really care much at all.

***

Jade and Ruby have a play date with Ramona's kids Derik and Tonia, as well as Ruby's best friend May.
"Let's play school! That's more fun than doing real homework!"
"I'm the oldest so I get to be the principal," Derik proclaims, "And if you don't do your homework you all get detention!" Some primal instinct tells him to put up a dominant act, being not only the oldest but also surrounded by girls.
Second-graders Ruby and May play the teachers. Jade is about to start school and listens attentively to all of the big girls' advice.
"Most teachers are okay, actually," May says to Jade, "Just beware of Ms.Trill, you don't want to get on her bad side. Which is every side of her."
Ruby also shares her wisdom from two years of school with her little sister. "Yeah, they go easy on babies," she makes sure to emphasize this word, "The first year is easy. Homework is annoying but only takes ten minutes."
Before Jade gets a chance to argue that she is not a baby, "Principal" Derik interrupts them: "Not in MY school! I order you all to do two hours of multiplication exercises!"
"Derik, our students can't even pronounce multiplication," the teachers remind him.
The girls ignore their principal's commands. Little Tonia can't find a pencil so she grabs a block and pretends to draw with it.

***

A few streets further down Kerry takes a time out in her favorite bar.
She usually takes Ramona or one of her friends from work with her, but having a night out alone can be nice too.
"How are the kids?", the bartender asks.
"Playing with their friends. I needed some time off, lot of work recently."
The bartender nods.
Kerry nods too. She was promoted recently. Her excellent work attitude and - admittedly - the recommendation letter she blackmailed out of Jade's father got her into a position that pays enough for her daughters' dance classes and an occasional club night for herself. And maybe even more?
Maybe it's time for a change. She's been dreaming of a bigger home ever since Jade was born. It's embarrassing to admit, but she doesn't even have space for a dining table for the family to eat together. Then the kids could finally invite their friends over, instead of spending most of their time at Ramona's or other parents' houses.
Kerry sinks into the hot tub, the main reason for why this is her favourite club in Bridgeport. One day she will have her own one, or so she tells herself, but that is still a few promotions away.

***

Ruby loves Richie, and Richie loves the attention.
"Good night, my baby cat."
"He's not a baby cat, you know," Kerry corrects her. "He's older than you. Are you girls ready for bed? Where is Jade?"
"Uh huh," Ruby responds unenthusiastically. "Jade's in the bathroom pretending to brush her teeth."
"Ruby... I had a thought earlier and wanted to know what you think. How would you like it if we moved?"
"Like, out of Bridgeport?"
"No, not far. Just into a bigger home. We'd have more space. A real dining table, maybe you girls could get your own rooms. Or one room at least, that isn't also the office and living room."
"Oh yeah! Maybe Richie could get his own room, too!"
Kerry hesitates, then gives a sad smile. "I'm afraid we can't take Richie with us if we move..."
"WHAT?"
"I adopted him together with our home. He's part of the lease, so to say. So when we move out of here, Richie will stay. It's his house."
Ruby cries. Richie hides. Kerry regrets that she dropped the bomb before bedtime.
"Then we don't move! I won't go anywhere without Richie!"

Comments

  1. Oh.. Dear.. If the cat is staying so am I..

    I've had to part with a few pets in my time, I know how Ruby feels.
    Grandpa Marcus is as awesome as ever, I love the kids interactions as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Richie's relationship with Ruby is even higher than with Kerry. Would be so cruel to split them up!

      Delete
  2. Aw! I definitely understand how Ruby's feeling (I actually found out yesterday that I'm allergic to my cat, but thankfully I don't have to get rid of her, just keep her out of my room.), but I also get Kerry's desire for a bigger house. The kids and the way they all interact are absolutely adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sucks big time :( Hope your cat doesn't lose as much fur as my boy now that it's so hot

      Delete
  3. Aww, the scene with the kids playing schoolwas too cute! Also, lol @ playing school to avoid doing actual schoolwork.

    I know how Ruby feels, but maybe there's hope. Maybe Richie has gotten attached to the kids and will insist on moving with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add--I'm so happy you're updating again! ^_^

      Delete
    2. Maybe that is what will happen 🤔
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Awww the kids are all so cute.

    I'm hoping that Richie will decide to follow them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment