Skip to main content

1.6 - The great anniversary

"And don't drink too much, it's still a work event. Remember, last time you had a few drinks too many you ended up telling me your entire life story. Wouldn't want this to happen again", Kerry's best friend Ramona advises over the phone.
"Yes, mom...", Kerry replies snarkily and rolls her eyes. "Again, thanks for taking care of Ruby tonight! I'll text you later, okay? Alright, see you!"

***

It's the night of the 2Pro Inc. anniversary celebration and Kerry was invited to come.
It is undoubtedly the fanciest party Kerry has ever attended. Looking around she's almost surprised that she was invited; there are so many important people here and she's just a replacable temp for the company. She's actually relieved when she recognizes some familiar faces from her department, even though she doesn't exactly like them.
Unfortunately it seems like everyone else is already engaged in their conversation and there is no place for Kerry anywhere.

For the first thirty minutes she is mostly loitering around the bar or the buffet, drink in her hand, avoiding everyone. It feels somewhat awkward, and not typical for Kerry who normally loves to party. Just not this particular kind of party.
This anniversary had been planned for a long time, and 2Pro Inc. had not spared any expenses. The intention is clear: show potential clients and investors that business is still thriving.
Some important men were giving speeches she didn't care about, mostly praising their own work and kissing up to their investors. Kerry focuses only on her drink until she hears a familiar voice coming from the podium.
'Looks like it's Mr. Henry's turn now.'

Kerry, now listening more attentively, is a bit surprised by his rhetorical skills. So far she had only known him as the man who's constantly demanding coffee, but when she watches him speak on stage it is clear that he is an actual professional. Kerry is taking mental notes.
"Thank you for your attention and please keep enjoying the celebration of our 20th anniversary!"
He spots her in the crowd that applaudes politely as he ends his speech.

"Ms Harris. Glad to see you here", he smiles around a corner.
"Good evening to you, Mr. Henry", Kerry greets him, "That was a very inspiring speech!"
"Thank you. Can I invite you on a drink?"
"Oh, I just had one but... gladly", she says truthfully and lets him lead her to the bar. Standing around alone on a party is no fun, not to mention that it makes her feel terribly awkward and out of place. Better to talk to your boss than to no one!
They sit down at the bar, hands on the counter.
Kerry notices that he doesn't wear a wedding ring but it would not be appropriate to ask about it. She allows herself to take a closer look at his face, his wrinkles, and his meticulously shaved stubble, wondering about the human behind the business attire. Is he maybe not happy in his marriage? Do his kids keep him up at nights like Ruby does to her?

"So, uh, did you bring your wife?", she asks clumsily as she realizes she had been staring at him for longer than appropriate.
"Do you see her anywhere?"
"Uh, no."
"Well then, what are you worrying about?"
"Worrying? I was just - !", Kerry blushes. Is he trying to imply something?
"Just trying to make smalltalk, I know, I know", he waves off. "You're so tense, just enjoy your drink and loosen up! Of course this is a work event, but we're also here to celebrate, aren't we?"
The drink is strong. It does help her relax her nerves.
Mr. Henry doesn't order one of the special cocktails. All kinds of fruit allergies, he explains.
"20 years of success...", he reminisces. "To think you weren't even born when I started my career here!"

An hour of irrelevant smalltalk goes by while Kerry downs another drink, partially because her boss encourages her to do so, but also because she enjoys the lightheaded feel it gives her. She really was way too tense before.
And not much later she is way too loose.

"Oooh gosh, I think that was a biiiit too much", she slurs.
She puts her arm around Mr. Henry, who internally wonders when and how to get Kerry away from here without anyone noticing, ideally before she publicly makes a fool of herself and, more importantly, the company.
"I promishh' my friend nat to drink too much... and look at me now, hahaha! Haha... Did you know my mom wassh an allo-holic? Oh. If you exshcuse me one moment, I need to go the bathhroom real quick..."
"That would probably be for the best.", Mr. Henry remarks patiently. Well, that was easy.

Kerry tries to carry her body to the toilets without tripping, and the rest of the night blurs before her eyes.
'Shoulda listened to Ramona...', is her last conscious thought. The only comfort to her is that she will most likely not remember a damn thing tomorrow.



***

Somehow she ends up in her bed, but she can't remember how, or what else happened this night.
What time, what day is it? She only wakes up because the damn phone doesn't stop ringing. Her head feels like it's about to explode. She rejects the call.

Comments

  1. *has just caught up*
    Oooo I like the photo editing! Is that weird to say? I feel like that's weird to say xD

    Pffft! I knew that guy was a sleaze! If someone gets you a drink, make sure they have some too (or just don't let anyone buy you a drink and if they do make sure you watch it being made).
    Poor Kerry though :c I kinda hope that she quits, but I know that's harder to do than it is to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hi Carrie!
      I was worried it could be a bit hard on the eyes so yeah thank you :P

      Mhh maybe she won't even need to quit, she was seen getting completely hammered at a work event after all...

      Delete
  2. Oh Kerry. That was to much drinking, and in a professional setting. That sleazy, old man though. Hope she threw up on all over him.

    The drunk- editing looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, let's imagine she did! :P
      Thank you ♥

      Delete
  3. I just caught up as well and I'm so mad for Kerry. I hope she takes Mr. Sleazebag's job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that might be hard, seeing how Kerry has no experience in her job and Mr. Sleazebag is quite well respected. But we'll see!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, well kudos to her for listening to one of the speeches and starting to learn more about the job, kudos not to him for apparently doing more than just help her to the bathroom, and many more not-kudos for the rest of his staff, for not being so focused on kissing his ass that he had time to himself at all. Must've been a heck of a party if the boss was able to slip out of sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And kudos to you for reading and commenting \o/
      Well he's the boss of Kerry and some others but not the highest in the company, so I imagine he could slip out just fine after he's done his part!

      Delete
  5. That last part was so disturbing, I hope he was only getting her up to go home and nothing beyond that happened. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry :( I was hoping it wouldn't be too dark but I kinda had to, to get the story going.

      Delete
  6. No no no no no! I don't like Mr. Henry. Ugh I want to stick his head in the toilet and flush.

    The photo-editing is great--I love how the gif turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noo you really shouldn't flush his head, that clogs the toilet!
      Eek I didn't like it but I'm glad you find it passable. I had never really worked with gimp before except for the usual crop and resize.

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I wish I was wrong about all of my initial feelings about Mr. Henry, just for Kerry's sake. That whole situation is just awful. Amazing visual storytelling though, seriously. The slow progression of the photos definitely added to my building feeling of dread.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment